Pre & Post-Operative Care
There are only a few things you should expect in preparation for a surgery here at Natura Dermatology and Cosmetics. When you are seen for your pre-operative appointment, Dr. Richardson or his colleague will ask you several questions regarding your health history including the need for prophylactic antibiotics, medications you are taking, whether you have a pacemaker, and if you have any allergies. Please come prepared to this visit with the correct information. This allows us to fully examine you and ensure that you are prepared the day of your procedure.
In order to ensure proper wound healing, it is important for you to know how to take care of the area after your surgery is complete. Here are the basic steps to follow unless otherwise told by your medical care provider:
- Leave the bandage in place and keep area dry for 24 hours.
- Remove the bandage and cleanse the wound once to twice daily with soap and water or with a
50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water mixture.
- Pat the wound dry and apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment such as Polysporin.
- Apply a clean bandage to the wound.
- Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 until the wound has completely healed.
- Avoid aspirin for 24 hours as this may cause the area to bleed. Tylenol may be taken for any
discomfort so long as you are not allergic.
- If sutures are in place, avoid submerging in water for long periods of time (pool, ocean, etc.)
as this may cause the sutures to soften and pop out.
- Return for follow up as instructed by your provider.
Occasionally a wound may bleed. If this occurs, apply firm pressure to the area for 15-20 minutes. Do not lift your hand or release pressure until the 15-20 minutes have passed. This usually allows the blood to clot, stopping the bleeding. If bleeding cannot be controlled, please call our office or if after hours, go to the emergency room.
If signs or symptoms of infection are present, meaning the area surrounding the wound becomes red, painful, malodorous, or has discharge, or if fever is present, please call our office immediately.